June 15, 2008

Around the place..

I love this bush, unfortunately I don't know what it is. It's about 10 feet wide and about 8 feet tall. Gorgeous!!




The garden is tilled and ready for planting. Now to decide what to plant and find the time to do it! DH and I have decided that with our advancing ages (50's) this place is just getting to be too big for us and too much work. As much as I love gardening and flowers, I'm beginning to regret putting in so many beds. Too much weeding to keep up with. My dream has always been to have a little farm, but I'm not as spry as I used to be. With each year comes a new ailment.

One of my favorite hobbies is bird watching. We have always had tons of nesters and babies, but this year we have a mean ol' scrubjay who has managed to run everyone off. He even went so far as to tear out of a birdhouse all of the nesting materials that a pair of sparrows had worked on for a solid week! They had literally 'feathered' their nest with chicken feathers from the coop. I watched from inside as he deliberately picked out the feathers one by one and let them fall to the ground. The sparrows have not been back. Yet to arrive this year are the goldfinches and the hummers. It seems late, but maybe the jay has scared them off as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so happy that you visited my little blog! Thank you for the lovely comment and have a superb day!!